Home > Daily Photo > Fall Holly

Fall Holly

September 25th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

100_9117
I believe this is a species of holly. “Holly berries are mildly toxic and will cause vomiting and/or diarrhea when ingested by people. However they are extremely important food for numerous species of birds, and also are eaten by other wild animals. In the fall and early winter the berries are hard and apparently unpalatable. After being frozen or frosted several times, the berries soften, and become milder in taste. During winter storms, birds often take refuge in hollies, which provide shelter, protection from predators (by the spiny leaves), and food.” Quoted from Holly on Wikipedia.org. Photo by David Densley September 2009 along Stump Hollow Trail in Logan Canyon Utah.

  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • TwitThis
  • StumbleUpon
  • email
Categories: Daily Photo Tags: , ,
  1. Brian
    September 26th, 2009 at 03:06 | #1

    This looks like a type of Mahonia or Oregon Grape Sp. easy to confuse with Holly that deer are nibbling on are berries blue or red? The deer would leave red berried true holly alone.
    Brian

  1. No trackbacks yet.